Breakfast tacos. They aren’t just for breakfast. In fact, we serve them for lunch or even dinner with breakfast potatoes and a smoothie. Confession: We’ve been in a breakfast rut lately and my kids have let me know they are tired of the same old, same old. So I broke out the breakfast taco.
Enter warm goodness filled with cheese, eggs, sausage, peppers and onions. With a slather of taco sauce.
While Taco Tuesday may have passed, it’s easy to make these any night of the week in 10 minutes or less. That’s the theme this month with my monthly blog link up – The Recipe ReDux.
“February 21 is a Tuesday, so show us your healthy, creative take on the taco!”
In my book, I talk about planting a “Taco Garden”. What’s this? A simple themed garden plan featuring vegetables found in tacos! This gives you a reason to make tacos once a week (will it be Tuesday?).
Many of the ingredients (like half of them) in tacos come from the garden. Of course, there’s lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, peppers, and onions.
Here’s how to plant a taco garden:
Plant your taco garden in a container or right in the yard. In fact, if your container is big enough, you can plant everything all in one spot! One tomato plant, one bell pepper plant, one jalapeño plant, 5 onions, a couple of lettuce plants (leaf or head style), some cilantro and you have yourself a taco garden! Make sure your container is well drained with holes in the bottom and set it in a sunny location where the plants will receive six to eight hours of direct sunlight each day.
Planting a theme garden makes for instant meal planning, that’s why I love gardening, we can use what’s just a few steps outside. There’s a reason there is a movement for Taco Tuesday in America – we love tacos. One section of our garden is devoted to taco gardening. Will yours be as well?
Recipe for Breakfast Tacos:
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, saute bell pepper and onion in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add breakfast sausage, cook until meat thermometer temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from pan.
- If needed, drizzle another teaspoon olive oil and add eggs to pan. Stir gently after 20 seconds to achieve scrambled egg consistency.
- To assemble, warm tortillas in the microwave for a more pliable consistency. Evenly divide eggs, sausage and vegetables into each tortilla. Top with cheese. Roll up and serve.