Last year, I had a big dream. Take my family to Hawaii on an incentive trip that I would earn with my direct sales business. As soon as the trip location was announced, I knew it was meant to be. You see, about five years ago, before I was a consultant with Pampered Chef, my husband and I had this dream of going to Hawaii for our 20th anniversary. So when it was released that the trip would be to Oahu, I couldn’t have been more ecstatic because the year it would take place, 2019, would be our 20th anniversary. See why I was excited?!
I set a goal to earn it by November 30th. A month ahead of the deadline. But guess what: I almost didn’t earn it.
In September of that year, I looked at my party calendar, and I started freaking out. I was really close to earning the trip, yet I didn’t have any business on my calendar for October or November or even December. So what did I do?
I decided I wasn’t going to give up. That was the first thing. I could have totally just thrown in the towel. BUT here’s what I would have missed if I had:
- Earning a dream trip I told my family I was going to earn to a place we had never been to that was seriously on our bucket list. To be on an island in the middle of an ocean would be like seeing God’s paradise on earth
- Income to support my family’s bills – I couldn’t just NOT have income
- Not having my family be proud of me while they watched me give up
- Giving up on myself would have been a huge confidence blow
It was time for a wake up call. I had to take a deep breath and decide I wasn’t going to give up. I knew it would require me to take action and stop wishing. It would require me to put myself out there. It would require me to go after something that I didn’t even think was possible. It would require me to step out of my comfort zone.
And what would come with it? Confidence. Persistence. Crushing fear. Moving forward. Success.
What can you do to crush your goals too?
- Heart check – what is your brain telling you? I bet it’s got a lot of “I can’ts” in it. Mine did and still do. Instead, I wrote down what I wanted to hear my brain say as if it had already happened. Need an idea? Write down things you know the most important person in your life would say about you (positive things only). Post these words of affirmation around your house and say them at least twice or three times a day. You’ve got to believe you are worth it.
- Gut check: Is this what you really want and how hard are you willing to work for it? You’ve got to find the reason you want to do something to keep you motivated. I shared mine above.
- Grab your goal, and map it out on a calendar. By when do you want to crush your goal? What will you do leading up to it to ensure you don’t let the goal date pass by? Map out the daily actions that come with the goal.
- Something not going well? Not making progress? It’s time to do a fact check. What are you honestly doing or not doing to make progress? What do you need to add or take away to make progress towards your goal? My biggest struggle was my own self-confidence. I had to fake it til I made it. Some days I still am!
- Brain check: Believe in yourself every day. You’ve got to be intentional. There is no reason you can’t have what you want. NONE. You make your goal, you put it in front of you and you go after it with full force. I believe you can do the same as long as you DECIDE to make it happen at all costs, no holds barred, with a go-getter attitude.
How did it all work out? Well, after I decided I wouldn’t give up, I did what I shared above. And what did that result in? A full schedule, income to support my family, and on October 26, I earned the Hawaiian trip for my family. When we arrived on the island, and opened up the door to our hotel room, I couldn’t help but beam with joy as my family shared their joy for what they saw. The view was amazing. You will see it in the picture above. And so was the journey.
Drop me a note and tell me what your goal is right in my Real Moms, Real Meals, Real Life. You can do it!!